Mikko Huimala has extensive experience in competition law matters. He advises Finnish and international companies on all aspects of competition law, including merger control, compliance, proceedings before the competition authorities and courts, and state aid.
Prior to joining private practice in 2006, Mikko gained several years of experience of investigating cartel and other competition law infringement cases in the national competition authority and the networks of competition authorities.
Mikko has a post-graduate diploma in competition law economics from King’s College London. He has co-authored an in-depth textbook on EU and Finnish competition law (2012) and published several articles on competition law. Mikko is the former president, current board member of the Finnish Competition Law Association. He is ranked in Chambers Europe and Best Lawyers for his work in the field of EU and competition law.
Superb. Analytical but very practical at the same time. Easy to work with.
EU & Competition | Legal 500, 2020
Sanoma Media Finland Oy (Seller), Schibsted (buyer), Oikotie Ltd (target)
The sale of Sanoma’s online classifieds business Oikotie to Schibsted
EUR 185 million
Counsel to Sanoma Group
Riikka Rannikko, Jesper Nevalainen, Mikko Huimala, Agda Vähä-Piikkö, Jenni Heurlin, Anton Pirinen
Comprehensive advice on the state aid law for the Prime Minister’s Office concerning the recapitalisation (rights offering) of the state-controlled airline Finnair Plc, including advise on the notification procedure before the European Commission. The rights offering of 500 MEUR is one of the largest rights offerings in Finland in recent years. The Commission’s decision in the case lead to amendments to the COVID-19 related State Aid Temporary Framework.
Sanoma Group (Buyer), Alma Media Corporation (Seller), Alma Media Kustannus Oy and Alma Manu Oy (Targets)
Sanoma Group’s acquisition of Alma Media’s regional news media business
EUR 115 million (announced enterprise value)
Counsel to Sanoma Group
Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company, Kesko Corporation, Kesko Pension Fund, Kruunuvuoren Satama Oy
A series of transactions, whereby Ilmarinen, Kesko, and Kesko Pension Fund, among other things, dissolve their joint ownership of Kruunuvuoren Satama and Ilmarinen acquires all 3,438,885 Kesko A shares held by Kruunuvuoren Satama.
EUR 164 million
Counsel to Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company, Kesko Corporation, Kesko Pension Fund, and Kruunuvuoren Satama Oy
Pöyry Plc, ÅF AB
ÅF AB and Pöyry Plc have signed an agreement to combine the two companies
EUR 611 million
Counsel to Pöyry Plc
Wereldhave N.V. (Seller), Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing (MSREI) (Buyer)
Wereldhave's divestment of the Itis shopping centre to a fund advised by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing (MSREI)
Approx. EUR 520 million
Counsel to Wereldhave N.V.
AtoB@C Shipping AB (Target), Aspo Plc (Bidder) Anders Nilsson (Private Investor)(Seller)
Aspo Plc has agreed to acquire AtoB@C Shipping AB from Anders Nilsson (Private investor).
EUR 30 million
Counsel to Aspo Plc
Orion Corporation (Seller), Axcel Management A/S (Buyer), Orion Diagnostica Oy (Target)
Orion Corporation's divestment of the diagnostics business unit Orion Diagnostica Oy to a private equity fund managed by Axcel Management A/S
Value not public
Counsel to Orion Corporation
Counsel to Kesko Corporation in securing unconditional merger control clearance from the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority for its acquisition of Kalatukku E. Eriksson Ltd., a Finnish fish processor and wholesaler.
- 'Superb. Analytical but very practical at the same time. Easy to work with.', EU and Competition, Legal 500, 2020
- 'A client highlights that he is "easy to work with."', Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe, 2020
- 'Mikko stands out for being "very engaged and analytical"' , EU and Competition, Legal 500, 2019
- 'Sources describe him as "a great expert in competition law, who offers a proactive approach."', Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe 2019
- Ranked as one of the world's leading competition lawyers by Who's Who Legal 2019
- 'One client praises his ability to communicate, noting: "He quickly understood the nature of my needs and prepared exactly what I needed, including the legal conclusions, without using too much space for detailed legal complexities." ', Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe 2018
- Ranked in the 2018 edition of Best Lawyers (Competition Law)
- Ranked as notable practitioner in the 2017-2019 editions of Chambers Europe (Competition/European Law)
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the board of the Finnish Competition Law Association for several years, previously chairman (2016–2018) and vice chairman (2014–2016)
- Member of the Competition Law Expert Working Group of the Finnish Bar Association (2016–2018)
- Member of the Finnish IT Law Association
Education and Professional Background
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2017
- Partner, Head of Competition & Regulatory, Finland, DLA Piper, 2016–2017
- Post-graduate Diploma in Economics for Competition Law, King’s College London, 2011
- Counsel/Senior Associate/Associate, Castrén & Snellman Attorneys Ltd, 2006–2016
- Senior Research Officer/Research Officer, Finnish Competition Authority, 2003–2006
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2002