Katja advises clients on contractual aspects of industrial construction and investment projects in all phases of execution and both on non-contentious and contentious aspects. Her area of expertise especially covers contractual issues and disputes relating to power plants and industrial projects, including drafting and negotiating various kinds of construction and supply contracts, advising on claim/delay management and other strategic issues with contentious interfaces during project execution, handling and mitigating both potential and realised disputes relating to, for instance, delays, performance, and variations in said projects, and advising in M&A and project finance deals in relation to the contractual scope of this industry sector. Katja has particular expertise in EPC & EPCM projects, procurement contracts & supply agreements, and Contracts & Claims Management leadership both on a global organisational level and within a particular contract.
Katja holds a Doctor of Laws / LL.D. degree from the University of Helsinki and a M.Sc. (tech) degree from Aalto University. Her doctoral dissertation covers the interface between tort and contract law in the context of liabilities between parties of a large-scale construction project.
Before joining Hannes Snellman, Katja was in charge of Contracts & Claims Management and a member of the management team of the procurement organisation at one of the largest industrial companies in Finland. Katja also has several years of experience from working in another leading Finnish law firm, during which time she also went on secondment to a leading international law firm in London. Before her legal career, Katja worked as an analyst in the real estate & construction industry.
Katja is also a former international-level athlete and a European Championship finalist and World Championship semi-finalist. She also held Finnish national records in swimming for over a decade.
YIT Oyj, Ålandsbanken Wind Power Fund
YIT Oyj's wind power development project with Ålandsbanken Wind Power Fund, where YIT agreed to sell the project, deliver the balance of plant construction works and manage the construction of the wind farm until commencement of the operation. The aggregate maximum production capacity of the project is 90 MW.
Value not public
Counsel to YIT Oyj
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Urhea (Pääkaupunkiseudun urheiluakatemia), Member of the Board, 2009–2013
- Vastuumuotoerottelu ja rakennusurakka - Velvoiteoikeudellinen tutkimus sopimuksen ja deliktin väliselle rajapinnalle sijoittuvista vahingonkorvauskysymyksistä rakennusurakan vastuuasetelmien kontekstissa, Alma Talent 2020
- Joint and several liability in the context of construction projects, Oikeustiede–Jurisprudentia L:2017 (Suomalainen Lakimiesyhdistys, the Finnish Lawyers' Society) 2017
- Tort liability between parties to a construction project, Oikeustiede–Jurisprudentia XLVII:2015 (Suomalainen Lakimiesyhdistys, the Finnish Lawyers' Society) 2015
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in Construction - Country Guide Finland (Co-author),
IBA International Construction Projects Committee 2014
- Liability of principal designer towards special designer in a builder-driven construction design project, Business Law Forum (University of Helsinki) 2013
Education and Professional Background
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2020–
- Manager, Contracts & Claims, Neste Corporation 2016–2020
- Senior Associate, International Construction & Projects, Castrén & Snellman, 2012–2016
- Seconded Lawyer, Projects, Simmons & Simmons, 2015
- Analyst, Mrec, 2011
- Junior Analyst, Asuntoturva, 2009–2011
- Doctoral dissertation publicly examined in September 2020, University of Helsinki
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2012
- Master of Science (Technology), Aalto University, 2010