Katja Perätalo advises clients on large-scale industrial construction and investment projects on a full lifecycle basis, capturing all phases from contract negotiations to implementation and navigating through strategic issues with contentious interfaces during and after execution. Katja has particular expertise in EPC & EPCM projects, procurement contracts, and supply and maintenance agreements related to power plants, wind power projects, production facilities, equipment deliveries, and other works and deliveries especially within the heavy industries, construction, and energy sectors. Her experience ranges from complex standalone investment projects to advising on construction issues in a transactional context, dispute resolution processes, and contracts & claims management on a global corporate level in this sector.
Katja holds a Doctor of Laws / LL.D. degree from the University of Helsinki and a M.Sc. (tech) degree from Aalto University. Her doctoral dissertation covers the interface between tort and contract law in the context of liabilities between parties of a large-scale construction project.
Before joining Hannes Snellman, Katja was in charge of contracts & claims management and a member of the management team of the procurement organisation at one of the largest industrial companies in Finland. She also has several years of experience from working in another leading Finnish law firm, during which time she also went on secondment to a leading international law firm in London. Katja has previously also gained experience as an analyst in the real estate sector.
Katja is a former international-level athlete, a European Championship finalist, and World Championship semi-finalist. She held Finnish national records in swimming for over a decade.
Acted as counsel to OX2 in respect of the construction contracts for full grid and balance of plant (including transmission lines, balance of plant works, substations and transformers) in respect of a 455 MW wind farm in Lestijärvi, Finland. Once operational, the wind farm will be the largest in Finland.
Keliber Oy, Sweco
Keliber signed an engineering, procurement, and construction management (EPCM) contract with Sweco in respect of a project, which comprises a concentrator plant and lithium mines in Kaustinen, Kokkola and Kruunupyy, and a lithium hydroxide plant in Kokkola.
Value not public
Counsel to Keliber Oy
YIT Oyj, Ålandsbanken Wind Power Fund
YIT Oyj's wind power development project with Ålandsbanken Wind Power Fund, where YIT agreed to sell the project, deliver the balance of plant construction works and manage the construction of the wind farm until commencement of the operation. The aggregate maximum production capacity of the project is 90 MW.
Value not public
Counsel to YIT Oyj
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Urhea (Pääkaupunkiseudun urheiluakatemia), Member of the Board, 2009–2013
- Vastuumuotoerottelu ja rakennusurakka - Velvoiteoikeudellinen tutkimus sopimuksen ja deliktin väliselle rajapinnalle sijoittuvista vahingonkorvauskysymyksistä rakennusurakan vastuuasetelmien kontekstissa, Alma Talent 2020
- Joint and several liability in the context of construction projects, Oikeustiede–Jurisprudentia L:2017 (Suomalainen Lakimiesyhdistys, the Finnish Lawyers' Society) 2017
- Tort liability between parties to a construction project, Oikeustiede–Jurisprudentia XLVII:2015 (Suomalainen Lakimiesyhdistys, the Finnish Lawyers' Society) 2015
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in Construction - Country Guide Finland (Co-author),
IBA International Construction Projects Committee 2014
- Liability of principal designer towards special designer in a builder-driven construction design project, Business Law Forum (University of Helsinki) 2013
Education and Professional Background
- Specialist Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2021-
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2020–2021
- Manager, Contracts & Claims, Neste Corporation 2016–2020
- Senior Associate, International Construction & Projects, Castrén & Snellman, 2012–2016
- Seconded Lawyer, Projects, Simmons & Simmons, 2015
- Analyst, Mrec, 2011
- Junior Analyst, Asuntoturva, 2009–2011
- Doctor of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2020
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2012
- Master of Science (Technology), Aalto University, 2010