Jesper heads our Technology practice in the Helsinki office, and his practice focuses on commercial, technology, and data protection law, including outsourcing in the TMT sectors, and he has particular expertise in open source licensing issues. He advises both buyers and suppliers of information technology on a wide range of business-critical matters ranging from strategic advice, project management, contract drafting, negotiations, and disputes to re-engineering of distressed projects. In addition to outsourcing, his expertise also covers complex technology transactions, data protection and privacy, as well as non-contentious IP, software licensing, and compliance matters.
Clients praise Nevalainen's tremendous assistance.
TMT | Legal 500, 2019
Counsel to Business Finland in public procurement of Business Finland Connection, a solution incorporating artificial intelligence, semantic search algorithms, and machine learning.
Francisco Partners & SmartBear Software Inc. (Buyers), Bitbar Technologies Oy (Target)
SmartBear's acquisition of Bitbar Technologies
Value not public
Counsel to Francisco Partners backed SmartBear
Counsel to The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (KELA) in public procurement.
Peab AB (Buyer), YIT Corporation (Seller), YIT’s Nordic paving and mineral aggregates businesses (Targets)
YIT’s sale of its Nordic paving and mineral aggregates businesses in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark to Peab
EUR 280 million
Counsel to YIT Corporation
Counsel in strategic public procurement to Finavia Oyj, which maintains and developes all Finnish airports.
Mimir Invest (Buyer), Caverion (Seller), Project piping & tank business and the related Ylivieska workshop (Targets)
Caverion’s sale of project piping & tank business and the related Ylivieska workshop of the Industrial Solutions division.
Value not public
Counsel to Caverion
Nordic Packaging and Container Holdings (Seller), Mondi Group (Buyer), Powerflute Group Holdings Oy (Target)
Nordic Packaging and Container Holdings' sale of Powerflute Group Holdings Oy to a division of Mondi Group
Enterprise value of EUR 365 million
Counsel to Nordic Packaging and Container Holdings (NPAC Holdings)
Counsel to a significant IT service provider in a novel agile development project. The advice included strategic advice as well as contract drafting and negotiations.
Lead counsel in numerous IT and BPO outsourcing transactions, typically involving several countries.
Counsel in numerous cloud computing transactions.
Counsel in numerous licensing transactions and license compliance cases.
Counsel in numerous data protection and privacy cases, including data protection impact assessments and drafting and negotiating data processing agreements.
Developed novel agile development agreements.
Lead counsel in the re-engineering of a large-scale and complex distressed IT delivery project.
- Recognised among the World’s highest-ranked Data Lawyers in the Who’s Who Legal Data 2020 edition
- "Clients praise Nevalainen's tremendous assistance.", TMT, Legal 500, 2019
- Ranked as one of the Thought Leaders in the Who's Who Legal – Data (Finland) 2019 edition
- Ranked among the World’s Leading Data Lawyers in the Information Technology category of Who’s Who Legal Data 2019 edition
- 'Interviewees value that he provides “good client service and technical knowledge.”', TMT, Chambers Europe 2018
- Financial Times Innovative Lawyers’ Awards 2017: Commended*
- Jesper Nevalainen is "commercially minded, authoritative and a pleasant man to work with, who is invaluable when difficult advice is needed quickly in pressurised scenarios", TMT, Chambers Europe 2017
- Ranked as a leading TMT practitioner several times by all notable legal directories (Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers)
(*=rankings from prior to joining Hannes Snellman)
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of ITechLaw
- Member of the Finnish IT Law Association (Member of the Board 2008–2012, Secretary of the Board 2009–2010, Chairman of the Board 2011–2012)
- Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Education and Professional Background
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2017
- Partner, Head and Co-Head of the Tech & Comms group (Finland), Bird & Bird Attorneys Ltd, 2012–2017
- Senior Associate, Bird & Bird Attorneys Ltd, 2008–2012
- Associate, Bird & Bird Attorneys Ltd, 2006–2008
- Legal Counsel, Tecnotree Corporation, 2006
- Associate, Roschier Attorneys Ltd, 2004–2006
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2004