Helen practises in the Dispute Resolution group of Hannes Snellman’s Helsinki office, focusing mainly on commercial arbitration and litigation. Her experience involves disputes relating to e.g. engineering, international trade, product liability and product safety, real estate, shareholders’ agreements and share purchase agreements, as well as general contract law and regulatory issues. She has experience of arbitrations conducted under the rules of various institutes, such as the SCC, ICC, SIAC, FAI and the Swiss Rules. She also sits as arbitrator. In the ADR field, Helen has been involved in several mediations either as mediator or as counsel. Furthermore, Helen has experience of various expert determination mechanisms typically present in e.g. share purchase agreements.
Helen has completed a secondment at the Finland Arbitration Institute (FAI) and trained on the bench of the District Court of Ostrobothnia. She has also frequently lectured on both arbitration and civil litigation, spoken on arbitration and mediation at many international conferences (in e.g. Athens, London, Vilnius, Stockholm, Riga, Lisbon and Helsinki), and acted as chair of the board of the Young Arbitration Club Finland (YACF) for several years.
Works very diligently, communicates effectively and able to piece together the key points from vast amounts of documentation.
Dispute Resolution | Legal 500, 2020
Represented an international manufacturer against a Nordic company in a multibillion SEK dispute arbitrated in Stockholm under the SCC Rules and Swedish applicable law.
Represented a Finnish listed company against one of the largest Danish corporations in a high-value engineering dispute mediated and arbitrated in Copenhagen under the DIA Rules and Danish applicable law.
Represented a NASDAQ-listed U.S. corporation in a large-scale product liability case against Finnish companies and authorities.
Represented clients in several interim measures proceedings aimed at freezing the counterparties’ receivables from Finnish banks, based on first demand guarantees issued by said banks.
Represented a Finnish supplier against an Asian buyer in a dispute arbitrated under the SIAC Rules and the laws of Singapore.
- 'Helen Lehto works very diligently, communicates effectively and able to piece together the key points from vast amounts of documentation.', Dispute Resolution, Legal 500, 2020
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Former chair of the board of Young Arbitration Club Finland (YACF)
- Member of Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre (YSIAC)
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Association of Finnish Lawyers
- Member of Young ICCA
- Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
- Member of ICC YAF
- Member of SWAN – Swedish Women in Arbitration Network
- Getting the Deal Through – Arbitration Finland Chapter together with Rautiainen, Tamminen, Tyynysniemi, 2020
- Getting the Deal Through: Arbitration, Finland Chapter together with Järvinen, Tamminen and Tyynysniemi, 2019
- Issue Conflicts as Basis for Challenge of an Arbitrator – A new First in Nordic Arbitration Practice? Scandinavian Series of Law vol. 63 (2017), p. 331-354
Education and Professional Background
- Managing Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2020
- Art as a Global Business: The Value of Art, Sotheby's Institute of Art, 2020
- FAI Arbitration Academy, 2017
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2015-2020
- Trained on the Bench, District Court of Ostrobothnia, 2014-2015
- Secondment, The Arbitration Institute of the Finland Chamber of Commerce, 2013
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2011
- Master of Laws, University of Turku, 2011
- Associate Trainee, Hannes Snellman, 2011
- Diploma in Innovation and Communications Law, University of Turku, 2010
- Bachelor of Laws, Åbo Akademi University, 2008