Ulla specialises in corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration. She has also extensive experience in criminal proceedings and matters relating to corporate criminal liability, with a special focus on securities markets offences.
Ulla has advised Finnish and foreign corporations in a number of complex business disputes before various courts and arbitral tribunals. Apart from her experience in advocating cases in the ordinary courts of law, Ulla has represented clients before special courts, e.g. in disputes relating to unfair business practises in the Finnish Market Court.
- Represented successfully a CEO of a Finnish company in a police investigation performed by the National Bureau of Investigation. The investigation concerned suspected bribery in business. The Deputy Prosecutor General decided to waive prosecution after the final statements of the suspects were filed.
- Represented successfully a Finnish federation, central organization, in the Finnish Market Court in a case related to unfair business practises and the use of unreasonable contractual terms. Certain inappropriate marketing manners of the opposing party as well as the use of unreasonable contractual terms were prohibited by the Market Court. The opposing party, a Finnish company, was ordered to compensate our client’s legal costs.
- Represented successfully a Finnish company in criminal proceedings in which the State Prosecutor claimed for a corporate fine to be imposed on the company for suspected bribery of public officials. The charges regarding the suspected bribery were dismissed and the State of Finland was ordered to compensate a part of the client’s legal costs. The decision is not final.
- Represented successfully a Finnish company in a dispute regarding the marketing of an investment bond. The judgment by the District Court was rendered in favour of our client as all claims presented against our client were dismissed. The decision is not final.
- Represented successfully a Finnish company in a dispute regarding the validity and the content of a letter of intent. The judgment was rendered in favour of our client and the opposing party was ordered to compensate our client’s legal expenses both in the District Court and in the Court of Appeal.
- Represented successfully a Finnish subsidiary company of an international consolidated group and its employees in criminal proceedings regarding alleged work safety offence. The Appeal Court dismissed all charges against our clients as well as the District Attorney's claim for sentencing the company to a corporate fine. The decision is not final.
- Represented successfully a Finnish company against a major Finnish insurer in court proceedings regarding a fire accident insurance policy. The Appeal Court granted our client’s monetary claims in their entirety, and ordered the adverse party to compensate the client's legal costs in full.
- Represented a Finnish mutual pension insurance company in a minority dividend related dispute against a Finnish public limited company.
- Represented a multinational company producing IT services and solutions in an institutional arbitration concerning the supply of an IT system. The dispute ended in favour of our client.
- Represented a multinational company in a complex product liability matter. The District Court dismissed all claims presented against our client.
- Represented a Finnish bank in Market Court proceedings regarding certain marketing measures taken by a competitor which our client considered inappropriate and contrary to fair business practices. The Market Court approved our application, finding the measures inappropriate and prohibiting the competitor from continuing them.
- Represented a Finnish company in Market Court proceedings initiated by a competitor who accused our client of untrue allegations and unfair business practices. The Market Court ruled in favour of our client, finding the competitor’s allegations unsubstantiated.
- Represented a leading Finnish insurance company against a Finnish public company in a landmark liability insurance dispute concerning our client’s obligation to compensate the damage that occurred in the claimant’s industrial plant due to a power cut.
- Represented three former board members and the Chairman of a Finnish listed company as defendants in criminal proceedings concerning a suspected securities markets information offence. Following our successful defence in the District Court all charges against our clients were dismissed. The Court of Appeal upheld the decision regarding the three board members. Thus far this is one of the few cases concerning board members' criminal liability in securities markets information matters. The decision is final.
Ulla is ranked in the Dispute Resolution category of some of the major international legal directories, such as the Chambers Global and Chambers Europe. Both in Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013 Ulla was regarded as a highly respected practitioner, especially for her work in white-collar crime litigation. In Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2012 Ulla was noted as a talented practitioner who focuses on white-collar defense work. In Chambers Global 2011 Ulla was hailed as an experienced specialist in white-collar crime cases and commercial disputes. She was also noted as a trusted specialist in securities market offences. Further, in the Chambers Europe 2011 Ulla was particularly recommended for white-collar crime cases, arbitration and commercial disputes.
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Mediator accredited by the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Arbitration Institute and the Redemption Board
- of the Central Chamber of Commerce of Finland
- Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
- Member of the Finnish Corporate Law Association
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Specialist Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2009
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2003
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2002
- Associate Lawyer in other law firms, 1992 – 2002
- Trained on the Bench, 1991 – 1992
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1990