Markus advises clients on all types of financing transactions, including bank lending, security structuring, acquisition finance, hybrid and derivative instruments, real estate financing and securitisation as well as the establishment of private equity fund structures. He has also been involved in a number of voluntary debt restructuring exercises as well as the setting up of debt acceleration and security enforcement procedures and preparing defensive action plans for borrowers. Markus currently acts as the firm's Head of Restructuring in Helsinki.
In addition to his current work in the field of finance, he regularly advises employers in connection with various employment law issues, including helping foreign employers set up businesses in Finland, producing director agreements, planning and implementing equity and non-equity based incentive schemes, settling employment related disputes outside courts, dismissing individual or groups of employees either by means of unilateral termination of employment or by means of mutual agreement with severance packages as well as providing general employment law related consultation.
Prior to joining the Hannes Snellman finance team, Markus worked with one of the firm's M&A teams, participating in a wide variety of M&A and capital market transactions involving both private and publicly listed companies. He continues to provide general corporate and commercial advice to his regular clientele.
- ‘The team is described as "very diligent, very detailed"… and special praise is reserved for finance partner Markus Bremer... Bremer is praised for "finding the best solutions and presenting them in an understandable fashion"…"no need to question his recommendations how to proceed with the case"., Banking and finance, IFLR 1000, 2014
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2013 and 2014 editions (Helsinki: Banking & Finance) of Best Lawyers®
- 'Markus Bremer is well known for his work with major financial institutions.', Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- '"Multi-talented" Markus Bremer is viewed as particularly strong in restructuring finance. Sources appreciate his "proactive and constructive" advice and technical and negotiation skills. "He thinks of everything, not just financing but competition as well, and has a broad view of the issues," say respondents.', Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2012
- '“A very bright individual and good to work with”', Banking, IFLR1000, 2012
- ’Markus Bremer is “easy to work with” and “deals with matters in a timely manner.”’, Chambers Europe 2011
- "Bremer is very energetic, young and creative," says a client about Bremer. "I think you should keep an eye on him. He is definitely up and coming.", Banking, IFLR 1000, 2010
- "'Sources single out younger partner Markus Bremer for his increasing visibility in deals.', Banking & Finance, Chambers Europe 2010
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2009
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2004
- Associate, Hannes Snellman, 1999
- Master of Business Administration (Finance), Helsinki School of Economics, 1999
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1998
- Bachelor of Law, University of Kent, United Kingdom, 1997
- Authorised translator from Finnish to English